* Hi there! A blog just for my own pleasure and hopefully yours as well. I love music and it's an important part of my life. This is a survey of all the records i have. In involuntary order. From modern classic to rock to industrial and all in between. I show the sleeves and 2 favourite tracks of the record. Enjoy! *


Friday, November 26, 2010

RIP Peter 'Sleazy' Christopherson; for always lingering music

Since the very beginning of Throbbing Gristle i am a big  fan. Their music is so inspirational for making music  myself but also for my art. Their music, and later on the other projects like Chris & Cosey, Psychic TV and Coil, is a part of my life. It's always there somehow. Today i just read on the blog of Chris Carter that Peter Christopherson, also known as Sleazy or Unkle Sleaz, yesterday passed away in his sleep. I was and am so sad to read this. I have seen him perform several times with Throbbing Gristle and once with Coil. And performing with Coil was so very intense and very, very impressive. I've seen lots of concerts and most concerts fade during the years. But some concerts will remain and linger forever. The concert of Coil is such a remaining and lingering experience.  It was dark on stage, only one bulb on a long cord and Peter playing with the bulb, giving it a swing. The musicians all in white. I cannot describe this performance very well, it'll look silly i think describing what was going on. You had to be there. But i still see Peter standing in the middle on the stage, he looked so tiny and yet so great and while the lightbulb was swinging around and the music was getting louder and heavier and louder, Peter ran again and again against a glass (?) wall. And as i thought oh my God this is so intense i can't stand it any longer, the music stopped as a bomb of silence. As i said a very impressive performance.
Peter 'Sleazy' Christopherson was a great musician and he sure will be missed but his music remains forever. To bring confusion, intense emotions, hope and joy.

First an interview with Throbbing Gristle from last year.



A live video from Throbbing Gristle, i don't know where this is recorded but i saw that performance as well.


And one of my favourites from Coil: Where are you?






And his latest projects: Soisong and The threshold houseboys choir.






Peter 'Sleazy' Christopherson • 1955 - 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rock me baby, leave a message! ;-)